ROSKA YACHT JERSEY

ULLAPOOL MUSEUM

CIRCA 1930

 

GALLERY

Select an image to view larger.

ABOUT
ROSKA YACHT JERSEY

Between the 1870s and 1930s, men from Lochside on the shores of Loch Broom found a working life in the wealthy world of big yacht racing.  Sailing and yacht racing were favourite pastimes of Britain’s richest families. Wealthy owners employed men from this area because of their excellent seamanship skills. The most popular waters for racing were the waters of the Solent in the south of England, and the Clyde on the west coast of Scotland. Although World War One interrupted yacht cruising and racing, it was revived in 1919 when King George V ordered the refit of his royal racing yacht Britannia.

This piece is on display and the museum is open now. Visit our website for more details and to plan your Highland Threads tour!

VIDEO

Click play
Once playing, click the symbol to watch full screen.

MORE INFORMATION ON THE
A ‘ROSKA’ YACHT JERSEY

Lochside was a close-knit community and extended family members often worked on the same yachts. Crewing was a great opportunity for a community whose income from crofting and fishing could be uncertain. Every man was issued a jumper embroidered the name of their yacht. The jumpers became part of everyday clothing at home and served as a knitted record of the yachts that the men served on.

This jumper belonged to John ‘Onorach’ Mackenzie and was found by family in the loft of his son Duncan ‘Tor’ MacKenzie. John was born in 1886 to John MacKenzie and Janet Munro. He married local woman Robina MacKenzie and together they had four sons, Iain, Roderick and Finlay and Duncan. The three eldest boys all died in service during World War Two. The family byname ‘Onorach’ is Gaelic meaning ‘honest or honourable’. John and his sons were noted for their meticulous approach to life, and the house and croft at Letters were kept extremely tidy.

John sailed on the Thendara with Robina’s brothers, and then skippered the Malista and the Vida. Latterly he was also skipper on the Roska prior to World War Two. The yachting season began in May and lasted until autumn. The men would leave in the Spring after the crops had been planted and would return in the late summer for harvest. This made the summer months difficult for the women who had to undertake all the work on the croft. However, the other wives and men who remained would help anyone who needed assistance. The Lochside became a very close-knit community with an atmosphere that remains to this day.

PODCAST

AUDIO STORY

Ullapool Museum

Late 1930s, L-R John ‘Onorach’ MacKenzie, William MacGregor (Scoraig), John MacLean (Ardindrean), Kenny ‘Skene’ MacKenzie, Skipper William Mackenzie (Rhiroy) ©Ullapool Museum Trust

GALLERY

ULLAPOOL
MUSEUM

The Museum is housed in a Category A listed building, an architectural gem. 

 PURCHASE

Want to find out more, visit
ULLAPOOL TRADING online shop.

SUPPORT

Help ULLAPOOL MUSEUM work through the pandemic closures by paying for your future visit now.

Contact Us

This website is managed by
Museums and Heritage Highland

Visit Our Website

Email us

All photography & video by Jim Dunn unless otherwise stated

Site created by Colin Usher

 

SUPPORTERS

 

Skip to content